New plan

After taking a website break for a few months, I’ve decided to abandon the book blog. If I had more time at home, I would definitely keep it up and post family scans more regularly, but I just don’t have the time! So, something had to go, and that was my least visited and least important blog.

For now, I’m going to have to abandon my scheduled posts (every Monday) and instead just post when I’ve scanned something. That may mean that I don’t post for a really long time, but I do scan things from time to time. (I have a second post for today that includes over 20 pictures I scanned on Father’s Day).

Apologies to anyone who checks regularly for updates, but since I haven’t posted in a few months, you probably stopped checking anyway. 😉

As always, I will take requests for scanned items based on what you see in the finding aids.

Updated finding aids

Apologies for not posting in so long. As I recently popped in and said, things are changing and my time is very limited. It won’t be too much longer before I get back on track.

I spent a little time today going through some additional materials I found and filing them accordingly. As a result, I do have an updated Pittman, Dickens, Thomas, Yarborough aid, and I have created two new ones: Smith, Strickland, Ratcliffe, Benfield is finally up, and I have started one for my in-law family, Jones, Cindrich.

Excited to get back to this project…

Mondays from here.

I think my problem is that I want to do too many things, and I just don’t have enough time in the day to do them all. Obviously, I cut way back on the number of posts and scans I make here. I began doing this daily, and went pretty well on full steam for a while there. Then I cut back to three times a week. Then I didn’t post for a month (granted, it was a crazy month) so I cut back to twice a week. Now I have a new plan, which is to post once a week. I don’t want to burn out, but I also don’t want to be lazy. So I am working on incorporating my work into my web space! I’m starting a book blog, where I will also post once a week. I’m going to have to tinker to figure out the best way to share both of these loves (history and books!), but it will likely be some sort of splash page to enter one site or the other from the main page.

Anyway. All of this is to say that the family history blog will continue with one post a week, every Monday!

After the week I had…

…I deserve a little more time off from documents. I’m still recovering from my tooth extractions. Infection turned to dry socket and my simple procedure went from a 24-48 hour recovery to a 2-week ordeal. I’ll get back to it when I’m not so drained and pained. Check back next week!

Two-day break

Taking Monday and Tuesday off for oral surgery… Wish me luck.

Advert for Mr Smaedley's Dental SurgeryThis file comes from Wellcome Images, a website operated by Wellcome Trust, a global charitable foundation based in the United Kingdom.
Advert for Mr Smaedley’s Dental Surgery
This file comes from Wellcome Images, a website operated by Wellcome Trust, a global charitable foundation based in the United Kingdom.

Can You Help?


I’ve found that there is a rather large number of photos of people that I can’t identify. I might have a guess in some cases, but there are others that are totally unknown to me. For each one like this, I will provide as much information as I can, hoping that these clues might help pinpoint the answer.

Whenever I post images of this sort, I will tag it “Can You Help?” If you have an idea, a guess, an answer, or any piece of related information, feel free to post a comment or send me an email!

Technical Difficulties

We went away for Labor Day and when we got back, my site wouldn’t load at home. Turns out my IP was blocked by the server… Very strange, but it’s fixed now. I’m a little behind on posts because of it. My vacation turned out to be a little longer! Posts will resume Monday.

Going forward, posts will only appear Monday-Friday. Turns out I need a break sometimes too!

Logistics and such.

Now that I’ve been tinkering for a week or so, I’ve gotten a few of the logistics out of the way. I have enabled Dublin Core on individual pages, letting me embed metadata that can be searched/extracted for researcher use. It is hopefully correct, and I will make every effort to be as complete as possible.

I am working on a plan for updating regularly. At this point, I am thinking of digitizing and processing one item per day, which includes scanning, adjusting, transcribing as applicable, creating metadata and generating tags. It is well worth noting that because I anticipate having (eventually) an astounding number of items digitized and uploaded, the images on this site are of lower resolution than the original scans. If you would like a full resolution scan of any particular item, post a comment or send me an email and I would be happy to oblige.

Which leads me to my next point: I have now enabled comments, but they must be approved before they are posted. Patience, grasshopper. As long as you are not spam, you will be approved.

Hopefully by the end of the week, I will have finished the finding aid and things will really get rolling. I will start advertising the site in genealogy forums and to individuals once this section is done. I want to thank a few individuals (you know who you are) for your incredible patience on this project, which has been in my mind for years but on the backburner while I was finishing school. I know you have been anxious and curious about a few items in my collection, and I am happy to finally be able to share them. I am excited for this project!